Wednesday, November 19, 2008

5. Plastic Shell Anti-Theft Packaging

I think everyone knows what I'm talking about here - that maddening plastic shell packaging that almost everything comes in these days - you buy something like new earphones (my most recent encounter) and they've enveloped it in an impenetrable plastic tomb, laser-welded around the edges, which provides the added benefit of razor sharpness and, consequently, painful lacerations to the whole new product experience - just what the purveyors of the good were going for I'm sure... Honestly, manufacturers have to know how maddening it is to try and open those things, but do they care? NO! Let's save a few cents per item by detracting the fraction of a percent of the population that's dishonest, and alienate all our other customers who now equate our brand with bloody fingers and insane frustration!

...The only tool I know of that can reliably penetrate this device is a chainsaw - so I went online and ordered one, and when it came - wouldn't you know it, it was packaged in a razor sharp plastic shell...


3 comments:

HeatherA said...

I HATE that stuff too! And, I've heard that it's really bad for the environment for some reason :(

Unknown said...

You just keep hitting the proverbial nail on the head. Keep posting, it puts mine and everyone else's thoughts into just the right words.

m@ryjo said...

This is the perfect time of year for this post. Please remind me to re-read this on Christmas day when I've tried to get into the stuff all while listening to, "Mom, can I have my toy? Mom, why is it taking so long? Mom, can you hurry? Mom, do you know what you are doing....." You get the point.